Hello again, it’s me. No, not the one you expected, but the one I have chosen to be. It’s me. I am in my glory, having decided that it really is about me; that I choose to love and respect and honor myself every day, instead of relying on the reflections of others to show my “self” in the looking glass of life. The biggest struggle in life, I believe, is to accept and embrace ourselves. Me, you – wonderful you dear reader. All our imperfections are ours alone, so let’s squeeze them close, be honest, and be our own best friends. Yes, I said that.
Too often we berate ourselves, fear not living up to our own expectations, and in turn, become our own worst enemies. Stop right now. There are enough people on this big blue planet who will find fault with you, make you question your choices, your integrity, and they will not love you for who you truly are. Get over it. The greatest struggle in life is not about finding self-love. It is about breaking down the massive walls we build to block that self-love, to bury it deep inside. So grab a little of that magic elixir called courage, step up and out and embrace wonderful you.
And you are pondering my sanity about now, but I promise, it’s in tact. Realize that we are all flawed, because we are human. And that is OK. Here are a few things it is time to move to the top of your to do list. Prioritize yourself, and you will open the pathway to relationships that are more empathetic and truly worth hanging on to in the long run.
- List your merits. Start telling yourself all the things you adore about YOU. Look in the mirror – I mean, REALLY LOOK. What you see reflected is what you project and see in the world. So often our disappointment and lack of self-acceptance reflects in an inability to see our potential, and acceptance of ourselves and others. Be patient and kind – show yourself a little TLC.
- Stop worrying about other’s acceptance. We all want to be included in the popular groups, to be accepted by our peers socially and at work. Stop focusing so much on winning their approval. Remind yourself that you were created as a unique, one of kind individual, and you don’t have to do what everyone else is doing. Be different, even if you stand out – they know you’re there. Maybe, they are even jealous of your spirit. Live your life without seeking other’s permission to live- be free, be unique, be happy and loved.
- Make some changes. You have the power. Perhaps not the power of Gray Skull (back to those old cartoons folks) but the stronger power to move beyond those thoughts and actions that drag you down. Empower yourself. If something doesn’t make you happy and fulfilled, even if it used to in the past, change it.
- Forgive yourself. This is critical my friends. Confront your darker side and work to banish the darkness from your life. Living should be easy, be light and you must learn to accept that sometimes, we all make poor choices. Move on. It means you are human, and those demons hiding beneath the surface have no power over you. So, you’ve made mistakes, get over it. Move forward and try to be mindful and make better choices for the real you. Your happiness depends on it.
- Banish toxic people from your life. Start now. Distance yourself from those who are stuck, who bring you down. Know that you are worthy and toxic people will poison you in every aspect of your life. Sadly, they often don’t know they are doing anything wrong. Respect yourself so you can win at the game of life (stick people and a car included ) Keep your circle of friends tight – quality over quantity. Friends should support, inspire and motivate you.
And so my lovelies, the real me bids you adieu. Know that if any of the things in this post ring true, you aren’t alone. We all suffer the slings and arrows of self-esteem and the curses of second guessing. Let’s focus on ourselves, get our lives back on the right track and hightail it over to happy sooner rather than later. Life is short – don’t waste precious time being miserable. You have the power within to be confident, motivated and happy. Start by being present and aware – yes my little peeps- mindfulness. I’ll see you in Wonderland.
Stay motivated and caffeinated! 😉☕