Bad days happen. Sunday was a doozy for me. I was ready to throw in the towel on everything by late afternoon, even though the day began quite decently. No matter how hard we strive to live a stress free, happy life, bad days happen. They do. Come on- raise your hand if you know what I’m talking about…there- that’s it…see, you are not alone. So just how can you get out of that funky place and into a better frame of mind? You have two choices – dwell in the land of self-pity parties, or work on turning that day around. I’m not saying it will be the best day of your life, but it will beat the self-flagellating, sofa saddened, Oreo eating, pity pouting day you’re having.
Alright, so you’re thinking this post isn’t about you. You are a happy go lucky, freewheeling kind of person. Well sweetness, remember, even the really rosy, unnaturally happy folk have a bad day once in a while. You know, the one day where everything seems to go amiss, you’re upset for no reason, and everything and everyone gets on your nerves. Now add in low self esteem and anxiety – OMG! Could this day get any worse?
Well, here’s both the bad news and the good. Bad – I (and possibly you) still get into these moods sometimes, but thankfully, I can be pulled back from the ledge. Usually, theses horrific, low feelings don’t last all day, and I have put together a little list of helpful hints. The most amazingly helpful thing you can do though, is to be mindful of your mod, and try to refocus on how to turn that day around.
Now, we’re all different, but here’s a little list of 20 things to cheer you up. Now again, we’re not the same, so some of my favorite mood busters may not work for you, but you can find your own. Add them to my list in the comments- come on – don’t be shy!
Alright then – welcome to Mood Busting 101. Take notes, participate- it all counts in the end!
- Write. Pen your thoughts and feelings in a journal. Write a poem, free verse, short story or a letter. Anything to get those feelings out of your head and where you can deal with them, and leave them.
- Be creative. Drawing, painting, cooking, baking. You will always know if I’m in an “off” mood by the number of freshly baked muffins on my kitchen counters. And if you see a banana bread- watch out!
- Watch your favorite movie. There is nothing in this world cheers me up like watching The Princess Bride. “Tweasure Your Wuv.”
- Meditate. Do it right. Darken your space, get cozy, light your favorite candle. Breathe.
- Get on Pinterest and read some inspiring quotes. If you like pictures of puppies or cookies- browse and pin it baby!
- Strange but true- like that crazy lemur King Julian- “You’ve got to move it, move it…” Just take a walk, or grab a class if that’s your thing. Adrenaline and endorphins (happy hormones) are great mood lifter.
- Pamper yourself. Mani, pedi, a long hot bath. Whatever works.
- Pets. There is nothing more therapeutic than cuddling your dog, cat, bird, ferret; of course if you have a rattlesnake I’d be cautious.
- Friends. You know the one. The one friend who listens, feed you m&m’s and wine and lets you bawl your brains out. The one that makes you laugh. Go on, put their number in your phone right now.
- Music soothes the savage soul. For me, The Cure’s early stuff feeds my bruised mind and calms me down. What’s your muse?
- Buy yourself flowers. I LOVE sunflowers. They always make me feel good.
- ROAD TRIP! OK, so this is a bit extreme, but how about a day trip to the beach or the park? Visit your favorite museum and treat yourself to something yummy afterwards.
- Nap. You already know I am a serial napaholic, but when everything looks bleak, wow, there is nothing better than curling up under a soft blanket on the sofa with the dog, and snoozing.
- Drink. No wine now, that exacerbates the downer. Try some hot coffee or cocoa. Or…put some cocoa powder in your coffee – yes! The caffeine and the chocolate will lift your spirits. And if you have some cookies or chocolate to go with that drink…
- Be like MTV and unplug. Literally though. No cell phone, social media or any of that junk. Take the day off and just be. Live for your moments, not other peoples. Their escapades may make you feel worse if you’re in self-pity sad mode.
- Call your mom. She will find something amazing about you – a trait, a memory something that will make you feel better. Or, she might offer to take you shopping.
- Netflix binge. I know, so trite, but it works. Get lost in American Horror Story or whatever show makes you want to stay up all night on the edge of your seat.
- Read. For me reading is an absolute escape. It is a way for me to relax, disappear and decompress.
- GNO. Sometimes, there is nothing better to lift your spirits than going out with the girls. Boca peeps – $15 pitchers of margaritas on Tuesdays at Rocco’s. Call me if you need to go.
- If all else fails, cry. Cuddle up in your favorite jammies with your favorite pillow or pet and cry. Sometimes, it’s the only thing you need. It’s cathartic. Promise.
Stay motivated and caffeinated!😉☕
Here’s a way to chill out and refocus on feeling good about yourself.