A new year always makes me want to reconfigure my life. I like to spend a little quality time with myself reflecting on the past year. I can see where I made some wrong turns, iffy decisions and how I fell off the goal road. I like to sit, in a quiet place, and contemplate refocusing my whole life. It’s a new year, so why not set some new, realistic goals, and think about living a more mindful life? The world is a pretty scary place; I believe that we can all benefit by focusing on ourselves and how we treat others. Let’s make this the year we make our little corners of the world more positive and better for everyone in our circles. I am going to try.
And so peeps here is my top ten list of ways to be a better me (or you) in 2018.
- Kindness counts. Be kind to others, simple right? Make it as easy as letting someone ahead f you in the grocery checkout lane, or asking a lonely neighbor how their day is going.
- Be honest. This is an admirable trait; it is how you build your character and integrity. Be aware though, that sometimes honesty needs to be tempered. People are confused, hurt or anger by the truth. Know how to soften the blow when necessary.
- Be grateful. I know, I say this a lot. But it’s a truth to live by; instead of focusing on what you don’t have, linger over what you DO have. If you have a safe, warm home, food and clothing, you are luckier than some of the world. Gratefulness transfers into positivity, and this will affect every relationship in your little universe.
- Listen to your gut. Instinct is there for a reason. Your heart and soul won’t usually steer you wrong. Don’t base important life decisions on power and finances. There’s always a way to get through until you find that perfect fit.
- Learn to listen. I know that there are many misunderstandings because people hear, but don’t listen. Practice listening to what your friends and family (and coworkers) are saying. It will help you understand more about those you interact with, care for and about your environment. Your interactions will become more meaningful, and there will be less confusion.
- Practice flexibility. Remember that life happens. Try and go with the flow instead of getting all bent out of shape when plans have to change. It’s alright if things don’t always go according to your master plan.
- Practice being mindful. Learn to appreciate the present moment for everything it is. Stop living in the past or rushing ahead to the future. You are alive and living life RIGHT NOW, so stop and smell the roses several dozen times.
- Have a little faith. Sometimes you just need to let go and allow the universe (and G-d) to take the helm. Stop over analyzing and worrying about everything, and believe that everything will work out for the best.
- Challenge yourself. We grow by pushing our limits. So whether it’s at the gym, or looking at a side hustle, or maybe a whole new life – pushing forward is the only way to see what you can (or cannot) do. It’s how we grow, learn and find our success.
- Smile. Ever notice that when you smile at someone, even a perfect stranger, that they smile back? It’s a free day brightener, gift or comfort. Try it; you’ll love the response.
Anything you’d like to add for yourself? Leave a comment and let’s make 2018 our banner year!
Stay motivated and caffeinated!😊☕