Ok peeps, it’s time once again for a New Year’s post. It’s been a crazy year for me, with a lot of emotional stuff to tuck away in my luggage (no more than 50 lbs a piece, lol) and a lot of change. I have had to re-evaluate, reminisce, and restructure all of my goals. Based on reality and my dreams, I am concluding that life will never be comfortable, and we have to take our little moments of happiness and savor them.
Today I am still working on changing the way I handle myself. 2018 is my banner year. I will treat myself with more love and kindness, and open myself to opportunity. I want to encourage all of you lovely folk to do the same. And so, instead of resolutions, let’s try a short to-do list of POSITIVE changes (or not) that you and I can do for ourselves.
- Be your genuine self, and be proud of who you are. Stop trying to keep up with the Joneses. Be that unique individual that you are, trying to be someone you’re not is a waste of the incredible human that you are. Embrace your strengths and be the very best version of YOU that you can. And baby – yes, you are beautiful.
- Put your heart and soul into everything you do – make it count. At the end of the day, you should feel tired, but the gratified kind of exhaustion from a day well done. Life is too short to invest yourself in meaningless drudgery. Choose wisely.
- Be forgiving, to yourself and others. We all know the feelings of hurt and disappointment that spring up from the decisions that we (or others) make. Let it go. It’s normal to feel the pain, but don’t let it linger too long, it creates negative energy. Forgiveness is the prescription for happiness. I’m not saying to erase all the hurt and pain, but you can choose how to let it affect you. Be brave and see it as a learning experience. Move on in peace and light.
- Make YOUR happiness a priority. You matter. Your needs matter. Start valuing yourself, looking out for numero uno and sticking up for yourself. You CAN take care of you while still caring for those around you. This is not selfishness. Once you realize how to meet your own needs, and bask in your contentment, you will be that much more capable of helping out those around you, at home, work or anywhere else.
- Practice Mindfulness. Start taking more deep breaths so you can make better decisions. Nothing that counts for the long run is ever decided in a split second. Remember, we all fail at one time or another, how you cope and redirect is the key. Our failures never define us, but they help us learn, and refocus for a better future. Be present and mindful and take a deep, cleansing breath. Oh yeah, and think before you speak.
- Remember that you are wealthy. Even during the lean times, it is super important to keep things in perspective. If you have the necessities, a home, food, clothing and you’re not terrified of what’s lurking around the corner – you’re alright. Be grateful for what you do have. I have a massive platter of stress in my life right now, but I know that this too shall pass. Whether in a week, a year or a day, I am grateful for my family, my true blue friends, my ambition, my optimism and my coffee.
And so peeps, today is just a new beginning. No more excuses, explanations or regrets. Let’s get 2018 to be the year we make it happen for ourselves. No matter what our paths, our difficulties or successes, it’s all about being who we are meant to be. Tweak your perspective, think positively, and let’s keep each other on the right track. I am working hard to center myself, to bring peace and hopefully gainful employment to my world. By allowing my true self to emerge, no regrets, I am going to make 2018 a stellar year. Why don’t you join me?
Happy New Year!🥂