So many of us suffer from low self-esteem. We feel pressured by society or told by others that we just don’t cut the muster. We are not good enough, pretty enough, smart enough, talented enough, etc. to take on life’s challenges. We convince ourselves that we are not worthy of careers, families, societal approval, and all based on our crazy ideas or the inflammatory words of peers. It’s a struggle to move past the taunts that haunt your memory as you cling to the playground fence searching for that one friendly face.
Guess what? YOU HAVE THE POWER! We all grow up with both positive and negative memory banks, one being larger than the other, thanks to the environments where we grew up. As we go through life, maturing, we add to those memories through life experiences. When we come to a crossroads, if we aren’t 100% ready for the decision, we fall back on those memories to guide us, and often they are wrong.
The past year has been particularly rough me. Torn between wanting to work at what I love and the desire for a roof overhead and food on the table made me reconsider a lot of variables in my life. Here are some important points I picked up along the way.
- You know more than you think. I certainly do. I have a habit of selling myself short and saying “I don’t know,” when I really do. You and I each have the ability to ask for help, research or connect with the right people to prepare for whatever challenges life lays out. I am terrified to start a new job. I don’t feel 100% qualified, or ready, but I know I’m a good writer, and my new customers are out there, waiting in the wings. It’s a journey, and I’m willing to take the first step.
- Change your attitude. Your attitude towards life and more importantly yourself will either propel you forward or drag you into quicksand. What you BELIEVE determines the decisions that you make. A majority of your beliefs stem from your past, but many of them are untrue. Be aware of what people said about you as a child, and what they are saying now. Take a good look at your accomplishments and then decide the truth.
- Obstacles are opportunities. No matter how you sidestep, life will continue to throw stumbling blocks at you. Remember Donkey Kong? Instead of hiding, use them as an opportunity to learn, to make your current situation different or better. Obstacles are there to teach you life lessons. I know that if I put my mind to it, I can do practically anything I set out to do. Except for math.😳
- Embrace your mistakes. Let your errors and mistakes become learning opportunities. If you want something, you need to be prepared to seize every opportunity, work hard for it, and never give in or give up.
- Never let defeat triumph. We all have these files in our brains. One drawer is for all the times we failed at, the other for our successes. Be mindful and keep these drawers carefully guarded. It is where you pull memory and information from to help you make informed decisions. Your choices will determine your success and your happiness. So choose wisely.
Knowing what you want from your life will help you determine when to throw in the towel and when to press on. You have the power within to overcome limiting beliefs and to realize your incredible potential. You alone have the power to create your happiness. Begin with the choice to stop letting all the bad mojo memories have power and to start grabbing all those incredible opportunities ahead of you.
Stay motivated and caffeinated!😉☕