Hello again my sparkly friends! And I mean that in the most awesome way ever. I do hope you are having a wonderful day, after all, it’s summer and beautiful pretty much everywhere on one side of the planet, lol. I have been thinking about each and every one of you. Really. And I know you are here to be motivated, to get caffeinated (sorry I can’t just pass that mug right through the screen to you) and to feel incredibly good about yourself. Now I can’t come do yoga in your living room, or take you walking on the beach, but I can pop up here in your little screen and offer some words of wisdom. Oh yes, I am qualified, you see, I am a student of life. And you, well, you’re my tribe. So we learn together, share together, and get happy and healthy together.
Today, for your viewing pleasure, I am going to share five habits I have picked up. Don’t worry, I won’t pressure you to drink multiple pots of coffee or eat shameful amounts of quinoa chocolate with your evening wine. I’m not looking to corrupt you, OK, well, maybe a little. So here are a few ways you can beat the blues and go from blah, boring days to happy, wholesome ones.
1. Break Out! No, not that old Atari game, but bust out of your staid routine. Be bold, daring. Get yourself out of that doldrums rut by spicing things up. Variety is key. Take lunch at a new restaurant, take a different route to work, or try an outfit that is not typical for you. If you see me and I’m not all in black, I am breaking out my peeps!
2. Adventure! Oh yes! Now, you don’t need to go zip lining or white water rafting or cliff diving, though I’ve done two out of three and they’re awfully fun. Simply exercising and spending time in nature have both been shown to have super mood-boosting effects. How about subbing out your usual neighborhood walk to go biking, hiking, or even kayaking. If you live inland, try horses. Yes, you are complaining that it is vigorous exercise, but they are so much fun, you will forget it’s exercise. Promise.
3. Smile. That’s it…creep those corners of your lips up…just a little more. Ah! I see that lip curl. Smiling makes you feel happy, even if you aren’t feeling cheery in the first place. Be cheesy. Give yourself a reason to grin. Watch a funny YouTube video, read comics, or get a joke sent to your email every day. Check out Mrs. Brown’s Boys on YouTube. It never fails to crack me up.
4. Give out compliments, even to strangers! Love someone’s hair color? Wanna know where she got those awesome shoes? Telling someone that you like something that they have is guaranteed to brighten their day. Seeing good things in others helps you see good things in yourself. Who knows, you may get an unexpected compliment. I wear my Weezer T Shirt and meet loads of fun, happy people. Yup, a real convo starter.
5. Get together with friends. The support of a large social network does wonders for your self-esteem and well-being. A British study found that adults with more than six friends that get together with on a regular basis are happier than those with smaller social networks. Call or text a friend you haven’t seen in a while or plan a night out you can look forward to. It works, all I need to prove this is my British comrades, who meet up weekly or biweekly for a pint or two or three…
A bonus one (because I love you guys) Coffee. ☕️ Really. “Modest” amounts of caffeine reduce the risk of depression. Be sure to enjoy a cup (or 5) of coffee or tea every morning to get maximum happiness. (If not, at least it tastes super good!)😃
And so my wonderful freaky fans, I hope you get out there today and Carpe Diem! Be happy, be positive and enjoy all those little itsy bitsy things. They are what truly count in the end.
Stay motivated and caffeinated!😉☕️